Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sheer is not a dress color

Apparently this passes for "dressed" these days...
As you all know, I will forever lust after an invitation to the Met Ball and obsessively study and adore the outfits of all the fancy people who are actually lucky enough to attend, but this year I must lodge a complaint. Attention all ladies: Sheer is not a dress color!

I have the utmost respect for women who rock bodies so hot that clothing should be optional and I fully support women with a daring fashion sense, but there is a difference between sexual/risqué and nearly naked/lingerie. As fashion has embraced sheer fabrics, plunging necklines and cutouts in all sizes and locations, I've found myself longing for the days when red carpets meant elegance and risky choices still involved actual fabric. Lately, it would seem that the more naked you appear, the better and while I would give ANYTHING to look like those ladies (and even if the Met Ball is a place for daring and costume-eque outfits) it seems ridiculous that these women feel the need to reveal so much at a red carpet event. Is this what high fashion is now? Is that what is required to turn heads? I don't know how we got here, but sheer is not a dress color and I think it's time my famous lady loves remembered that!

No comments:

Post a Comment