Monday, February 23, 2015

I'm sorry Oscar...

Birdman joke or not, Oscar hosts should
keep their clothing on at all times.
What better way to get back into the blogging groove than to talk about Hollywood, movies and fashion!? For those of you who may have missed it, last night Hollywood got all dolled up for the Oscars and if you missed it, you actually didn't miss much. My two cents:

* I thought Neil Patrick Harris was pretty terrible. I generally love me some Doogie Howser, but his hosting style better suits the schtick of the Tonys than the Academy Awards. He had a few good zingers (an opening dig about the lack of black nominees seemed promising) but generally I thought he fell flat.
* The show overall was a serious snooze. Dr. H and I actually tuned out in favor of our DVR because as much as I appreciate the brilliant costuming, editing, producing, scoring that makes up so much of the movies we love, seeing those awards handed out isn't really what we're tuning in for.
* Lady Gaga are you serious!? Put away the crazy costumes and be this version of your talented self always. 
* Who was feeling the girl power last night!? Patricia Arquette made a passionate call for equal rights for women during her acceptance speech (Meryl and JLo loved it!)
* While we're discussing last night's feminist vibe, not sure how I felt about the #AskHerMore campaign, aimed at getting red carpet presenters to talk about more substantive things with actresses than just gowns and diets. While I agree that women are often asked incredibly sexist/objectifying questions, the red carpet is a lot about the fashion. I think for this campaign to have legs it needs to be applied to non-red carpet moments.

Ok, enough rambling... let's look at some fancy people in fancy clothes shall we!? There were not many looks that blew me away last night and several of my reliable favorites left me scratching my head or straight up shakin it...

Rosamund Pike in Givenchy
Remember when I questioned Rosamund's fashion decision at the Golden Globes because it was unflattering? Well, I'll shut up now. Holy WOW!

Margot Robbie in Saint Laurant
This is a pretty sexy look and I really like how Margot is rockin it. It manages to maintain some elegance while being very rock and roll. Her necklace is the perfect accessory and I also like the bold lip and lob (long-bob that is!)

Lupita Nyong'o in Calvin Klein
I can't decide what I feel about this. From far away the dress is stunning and the detailed pearls on top of pearls concept is amazing, but up close for me it didn't look quite as glam. I dunno... a dress made entirely of pearls is pretty fabulous!

Cate Blanchett in Martin Margiela Couture
I love this look. While I confess it's very basic and not exactly daring, the silhouette is working wonders on Cate and her statement necklace and hair are perfection. 

Reese Witherspoon in Tom Ford
Reese, I am Bored with a capital B. Though this simple dress and hair combo is beautiful on you, I feel like I've seen you wear this look on every red carpet these past few years. I dare you to be a bit more adventurous. 

Julianne Moore in Chanel
I count on Julianne for effortless style and grace, but unfortunately I think this dress is a miss. Though the fit is divine, the color is washing her out and the strangely placed rows of darker beading create a strange overall shape.

Naomi Watts in Armani Prive
I can't totally hate this dress, but the thing it reminds me of most is a cobblestone Soho street. Not ideal right? Naomi looks stunning, but I just can't support the bricky look.

No comments:

Post a Comment