Thursday, July 24, 2014

The feel good movie of summer.

Now in theaters!
Last weekend I saw the movie Chef and it was wonderful. A movie I'd "heard good things about" (from who or where I couldn't say!) come Saturday evening, Dr. H, my inlaws and I rode the rotten tomato positive review train straight to the theater and I'm pleased to report that Chef did not disappoint.

Written, produced, directed by, and starring Jon Favreau, Chef co-stars Sofia VergaraJohn Leguizamo (who is just always good in things isn't he!?)Scarlett JohanssonDustin Hoffman and Robert Downey, Jr. (a small and amusing cameo). Favreau plays a professional chef who, after a dramatic public tirade against a food critic goes viral, quits his job at a popular restaurant and returns to his home town of Miami to fix up a food truck. And though this is the plot summary you'll get on Wiki, it does not do justice to the deeply real, uplifting and beautifully acted relationships between Favreau's Chef and food (he cooks, you salivate), his friends (I need some fun loving chef buddies!), his ex-wife (Vergara finally showing range beyond Modern Family) and his son (scene stealing Emjay Anthony who was beyond endearing).  Chef is a feel good movie through and through that appealed to all the varied tastes of my viewing party.

If you're looking for the "feel good movie of the summer", I think Chef just might be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment