Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Wrinkle me this...

Recently I've become obsessed with my forehead, or to be more specific, the visible wrinkles on my forehead. Once only noticeable when I raised my eyebrows, usually to make my "Muppet face" in photos (you know, the gaping open mouth huge smile with bulging happy eyes and enthusiastically lifted eyebrows!?) now even my "only slightly amused face" (pictured at left) has visible creases across the top. While perhaps these could be viewed as marks of decades of a joyful existence, permanently ingrained on my face, I'm mostly just like "good lord when did that happen and how do I make it stop!?"

As a result of this latest development (which mocks me in every reflective surface I encounter) I've begun to explore the glorious female money-suck of anti-aging products. While the choices are plentiful, all natural, at the drug store or sold exclusively at high end retail, the one thing they all have in common is a pretty serious price tag (even drugstore Garnier brands I have explored retail for $15 (here) -$30 (here) for just a few ounces). Ladies, is there anything more dicey than spending a buttload of money on a product you don't have any experience with (see: that hair salon shampoo/revolutionizing conditioner!?) Thankfully, all my nearly/recently/kinda 30-ish readers, you have me and I am here to make this wrinkled mess better for ALL of us. I've been doing some research, diving deep to find free samples and I have some preliminary results to share:


Garnier Ultra-Lift: I hate to say this ladies, but it looks like these products give back what you put in and at a wallet friendly $15 at CVS, this brand did not impress me. Though I did notice improvement in my skin's "radiance", my nightly applications made me feel more greasy during the day and I didn't see much firming going on. I abandoned application as part of my night time routine before I'd even finished using my supply.

Origins Plantscription Anti-Aging Cream: Points out of the gate for this product which Origins happily provided me a sample of. I'm about 1 week into the tiny capsule I was given for free (and certainly have enough for a second week) and honestly, I'm impressed! My skin looks noticeably healthier, even-toned, more radiant and maybe I'm crazy, but are my forehead wrinkles slightly less "deep" looking? Retailing at $55, I'm really pleased to have had a chance to test this product for free and unless I am de-railed by breakouts or some other reaction, I plan to invest in a full supply.

Philosophy Time in a Bottle: Retailing at a jaw-dropping $74 for 1.3 fluid ounces, I have been debating this product ever since it was so highly recommended by my go-to beauty product expert Belle over at CapHillStyle. Despite the "in just 3 days I was in love" endorsement, Sephora refused to give me a sample and I just couldn't swallow the expense. Perhaps when I earn enough Beauty Insider points or score a birthday discount I will take the plunge, but until then, Time in a Bottle is going to have to stay in the bottle, not on my forehead.

I will report back to you at the end of May with a full "Wrinkle me This" product progress update. I'm also going to commit here in writing to being more diligent about sunscreen and perhaps even seeking hats/shade (gasp!). We're not getting any younger people, time to start taking better care of the skin we're in!

No comments:

Post a Comment